Tomato Eggplant Rigatoni

Tomato Eggplant Rigatoni

Tomato Eggplant Rigatoni

Good morning, my dearest friends & readers!

Wow, June sure disappeared in a hurry ….. it seemed like I just blinked and it was gone ….. crazy stuff.

I had all these great plans for June & I ran out of time …. , but that’s all right ….. there is always July to keep going ….. one step at a time …

The main thing is NOT TO GIVE UP ….. just keep going ….. keep stepping over obstacles ….. little bit each day …..

Yesterday we ended CANADA DAY with spectacular fireworks & it feels like today is the first official day of Summer School Break.

I am glad Canada Day is over because according to Hormone Boy Canada Day is day of FREEDOM from wearing pants! Maybe just maybe ….. this morning he will leave his room with actual pants on ….

Yes, teenagers are strange ….. we love them anyway ….. & I also love to cook for mine.

If you read my blog then you know that my children are carnivores & I take any chance I get to make meatless meal they will eat.

Spaghetti sauce is one of their favorite dishes so the other day I made TOMATO EGGPLANT PASTA SAUCE ….. served it over RIGATONI & hoped for the best …..

It was so delicious that seconds were requested …. plates were cleaned …. happy faces were all around.

Can you say: “WINNER WINNER EGGPLANT DINNER?”

Tomato Eggplant Rigatoni

Tomato Eggplant Rigatoni

Tomato Eggplant Rigatoni

Serves 4

Ingredients:

• 3 Small Eggplants (1/4″ slices)
  • Onion (chopped)
  • 6-8 Garlic Cloves (minced)
  • 1/4 cup Fresh Parsley (chopped)
  • 1/4 cup Olive Oil
  • 1/4 cup Red Wine
  • 11 oz Tomato Paste
  • 22 oz Water
  • Oregano
  • Thyme
  • Salt Pepper
  • Parmesan Cheese

STEP 1: Sweat & grill eggplant slices. Let them cool them chop. Set aside.

STEP 2: In a skillet heat olive oil on medium high and saute onions until translusent. Add eggplant and saute for about 5 minutes

STEP 3: Add red wine and reduce until it’s almost gone. Turn heat to medium low. Add parsley and garlic. Saute for 5 minutes.

STEP 4: Add tomato paste, water and herbs if they are dried. Fresh herbs go in in the end. Cover and cook for about 30 minutes.

STEP 5: Salt and pepper to taste. Time to end fresh herbs and cook for 5-10 minutes uncovered.

STEP 6: Plate warm and cooked rigatoni. Top with eggplant sauce and parmesan cheese.

Eggplant Pasta Sauce (3)

Eggplant Pasta Sauce (4)

How To Sweat & Grill Eggplant: Slice eggplant and spread it on a large plate or cookie sheet. Salt and let it sit for 10 minutes. You will see the water coming out. Then just brushed with olive oil and roast on hot grill.

Tomato Eggplant rigatoni

Tomato Eggplant Rigatoni

Tomato Eggplant Rigatoni

Don’t forget….Keep Smiling….Keep Cooking!

signature-1

© Copyright 2013FoodieBibi, All rights Reserved. Written For: Bibi's Culinary Journey

39 Responses to “Tomato Eggplant Rigatoni”

1. Kris says:

Sounds great, Bibi! I will have to pick up some eggplant at the farmers market and try this!

2. Anabel says:

Hello Bibi, just dropping in to say hello!
    We have a few new things coming up with our baking group. We have a birthday/anniversary celebration coming up on August first, it will be the groups 5th anniversary! How exciting! Paloma has asked for those who can/willing to participate send her a photo of a special cake you have baked recently, to share on our anniversary date. A few of us have already baked an item and submitted our photos which will be revealed on August 1st.
    Paloma is also starting a Hospitality Committee to welcome our new bakers to the group, and simply check in with our absent bakers to encourage them to bake. For some of us its hard to stay committed at times due to our work, families and everyday challenges. I myself missed the last two months of baking with the group. Now I’m back on track this month, and loved this months choice.
    I encourage you to check in with us through our Cake slice group, just to say hello, we’ve missed you! Hope all is well, looking forward to baking with you soon!
    Anabel (ovendelights)
    Anabel recently posted..Boston Cream Pie-letsMy Profile

3. Terry says:

One of the best tomato sauces my Hubs and I ever ate was a roasted eggplant and tomato sauce. I tried to make it, but it didn’t turn out. Thank you so much for this recipe… I will try it your way.
    Terry recently posted..Spinal Curve Solutions ~ Mini Spinal Curve Restorer Review ~ Helping My Back, Neck And Shoulder PainMy Profile

4. Lexie Lane says:

This looks lovely! I bet it tasted great too! Love all the steps.

5. JEnn says:

YUM! I love eggplant but the family doesn’t! I wonder if I cut it up smaller if it will be hidden! lol Looks delicious!
    JEnn recently posted..My Little Pony – Friendship Is Magic: A Pony For Every SeasonMy Profile

6. Winter says:

This looks so good. I love eggplant but don’t really know how to fix it. Thanks for the idea.
    Winter recently posted..Recipe of the Day~Baked Alfredo Rigatoni PieMy Profile

7. Mary says:

That looks fantastic! I’m always looking for new ways too cook eggplant. We love it!
    Mary recently posted..NickMom #MotherFunny Moment: Giving ThanksMy Profile

8. My mouth is watering. I love eggplant those photos are great. I was going to make meatballs for dinner tonight… on second thought off to the store we go! Egg plant is calling:)
    Jessica Hehir recently posted..Downton Abbey Inspired Plate CoversMy Profile

9. Thanks for posting an eggplant recipe. Sometimes it’s hard to figure out what to do with some of the less common fruits and vegetables.
    Sheri Ann Richerson recently posted..Today On ExperimentalHomesteader.com – November 19, 2013My Profile

10. Rita Von says:

That looks absolutely DELICIOUS. My mouth watered as soon as the page started loading. Oh how I love pasta and eggplant. I can assure you, I’ll be trying this recipe out!
    Rita Von recently posted..Someone has to say it….My Profile

11. Melanie S. says:

I don’t personally care for eggplant, but my husband does and I’d like my children to start eating it. I just never know how to prepare it! I think this might be a good way to introduce it to the kids. Thanks!
    Melanie S. recently posted..We’re SMILING IT FORWARD™ with TYLENOL®!My Profile

12. Wendi Watson says:

We used to have eggplant Parmesan at my grandmothers restaurant I love your idea thanks for the recipe!

13. Yum this looks and sounds delicious! I love trying new recipes I can’t wait to make this for my family!
    Melinda Dunne recently posted..Personalized Gifts From VizardzMy Profile

14. Nicki says:

This looks so yummy! I’ve never had eggplant, must give this a go!
    Nicki recently posted..The Twelve Walks/Hikes of ChristmasMy Profile

15. This looks and sounds amazing.

16. Candy says:

I love eggplant! Especially stir fried.
    Candy recently posted..Maternity Photographer in Bucks CountyMy Profile

17. Maria says:

I LOVE eggplant!! I was planning on making some this week only fried eggplant!! Yum!!

18. Becky says:

Looks great- my brother grows eggplant in his garden. I’ll send this to him. :)

19. Kimberly says:

What a nice healthier choice to pasta sauce than the normal sausage or meat sauce. Bet it tasted great.
    Kimberly recently posted..Weekend Wrap-upMy Profile

20. I’m not an eggplant eater but I would try this. It is also healthier than having meat in the recipe.
    The Frugal Exerciser recently posted..Make Your Own Biggest Loser Fitness CampMy Profile

21. Malia says:

I love pasta, and so does my family! Thanks for the recipe.
    Malia recently posted..FREE Photo Holiday Cards & 5X7 Photo Book from York PhotoMy Profile

22. Now this really looks delicious!
    katherine bartlett recently posted..I Have a Slimfession- Do You? #slimfessionsMy Profile

23. I’ve never cooked an eggplant! Can you believe that?? OK…you’re making my mouth water and making me want to be brave and try it!